It's open season for Romeo Forbes Children's Storywriting Competition. I joined a few years back but didn't get in. Hopefully this year I will. Keep your fingers crossed!
Contest Rules and Conditions
1. CANVAS' Romeo Forbes Children's Storywriting Competition is open to all Filipinos.
2. Entries must not have been previously published or submitted in any other competition, and all entrants must warrant the originality of their submitted entries.
3. Writers may submit only one entry, which may be in English or Filipino. The entry must not exceed 1,500 words.
4. There is no particular theme, other than the use of Liv Vinluan's untitled contest piece, shown above, as the inspiration or basis for the entry (picture above).
5. Judging Process. A CANVAS review panel shall read and award points for all stories received based on the following criteria:
* Originality and Storyline (35%)
* Imagery (35%)
* Quality of Writing (20%)
* X-Factor/Judges' discretion (10%)
Based on the points received, CANVAS shall forward a shortlist of at least five stories with the highest scores to the Artist. The Artist shall then provide comments on any or all the stories, for consideration by the panel of judges.
The panel of judges - taking the contest criteria and Artist comments into non-binding consideration - shall collectively choose the winner from the shortlist of stories.
If the judges cannot come to a consensus on the winner, they shall take a vote and the entry that gains the most number of votes shall be declared the winner.
None of CANVAS' review panel, the judges or the Artist shall see the entrant's name until the winner is chosen.
6. Entries must be submitted by email, as a Microsoft Word attachment, to email@example.com with the subject heading 2011 ROMEO FORBES CHILDREN'S STORYWRITING COMPETITION. In the body of the email, entrants must provide their name, the title of their entry, mailing and email address, and telephone/cellphone number. Only the story title should appear on all pages of the attached entry.
7. The deadline for submission of entries is 5:00 p.m. (Manila time), Thursday, 31 March 2011. Entries received after the deadline, even if sent earlier, will no longer be considered for the competition.
Kindly note that CANVAS acknowledges each and every entry that we receive. If you submitted a story, and do not receive an acknowledgment from us within 24 hours, please assume that your story was not received and kindly resend it to us.
Entries received after the deadline, even if sent earlier, will no longer be considered for the competition. CANVAS shall not be responsible for entries which are not received, or which are received after the deadline, due to technical failure or for any other reason whatsoever.
8. All entrants hereby agree to authorize CANVAS to post their entries on its website, as CANVAS deems fit, and free from any payments, royalties or fees whatsoever.
9. There shall be only one winner, who shall receive a cash prize of PhP 35,000.00 (less applicable withholding tax) for his/her entry.
The winning writer shall also be entitled to five (5) free copies upon publication of the book.
For complete contest rules, click here to go to the original post.