If you can’t be comprehensive you might as well be opinionated… Entries due by August 31, 2010.
We were looking at all of our country guides and realised there were some big gaps – how is it we have a guide to Kazakhstan and not France, for instance? Plus a lot of our country guides were written in the early days of Road Junky and we need some fresh blood.
So we decided to have a contest to fill up our list in one big go.
The winning travel writer will get $1000 and the 20 runner ups will get $100 and their guides will be published,
So if you think you know any of the countries listed below like the back of your hand then read the rules REALLY, REALLY, REALLY carefully and submit your guide.
Travel Contest Rules
2. We said ‘read the country guides first’!
3. Send us the Intro page and the People page first (more on the specific sections ) and we will select 21 entries to go through to the next round and complete the rest of the guide.
DON’T write the whole 6000 word guide and send it in until we’ve approved the first 2 pages!
4. Any entry that uses phrases like ‘land of contrasts’, ‘bustling marketplace’, ‘boasts natural wonders’ will be deleted without a second thought.
5. Photos aren’t necessary but are a plus if they’re entertaining – DON’T send us any files though, just include the links to your flickr page or whatever.
6. If you want to have a chance of winning please understand that we’re looking for ironic, outspoken, original writing that shows us the country in a whole new light. Lonely Planet already did bland and politically correct.
7. Final submission deadline for the first 2 pages is August 31st 2010. Then we will choose 21 writers to complete the full country guide. Once all the guides are finished we’ll probably get everyone to vote on their favourite.
8. If selected as winner or runner up you give us exclusive online rights to the work though you can do anything you want with the piece in print. You can submit as many guides as you want.
9. Include a short bio.
10. Send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org and mark your entry ‘contest country guide’.
Papau New Guinea
and maybe we’d consider other ones if they were particularly biting.More when you click this.